Milling is to fix the blank and use a high-speed rotating milling cutter to move on the blank to cut out the required shapes and features. Traditional milling is mostly used to mill simple shapes/features such as contours and grooves. CNC milling machines can process complex shapes and features. The milling and boring machining center can perform three-axis or multi-axis milling and boring processing, which is used for processing, inspection tools, molds, thin-walled complex curved surfaces, prostheses, blades, etc. When selecting the content of CNC milling, the advantages and key roles of CNC milling machines should be fully utilized.
1. Process introduction
Milling is a common metal cold processing method. The difference from turning is that in milling, the tool is driven by the spindle to rotate at high speed, while the processed workpiece is relatively stationary.
The difference between turning and milling:
Turning is used to process revolving parts. The parts are clamped on the main shaft of the machine tool through a three-grip chuck and rotated at high speed. Then, the turning tool is used to move the tool according to the generatrix of the revolving body to cut out the product's appearance. The lathe can also process the inner hole, thread, biting, etc. The latter two are low-speed processing.
2. Processing technology
(1) Curve contours on the workpiece, straight lines, arcs, thread or spiral curves, especially non-circular curves and list curves given by mathematical expressions.
(2) The spatial curve or surface of the mathematical model has been given.
(3) Although the shape is simple, the size varies, and the detection is difficult.
(4) Inner cavities and box interiors are difficult to observe, control, and detect when processed by ordinary machine tools.
(5) Holes or planes with strict size requirements.
(6) A simple surface or shape that can be processed in one clamping.
(7) General processing content can effectively improve productivity and reduce labor intensity by using CNC milling processing.
The main processing objects suitable for CNC milling include the following categories: plane contour parts, variable bevel parts, spatial curved surface contour parts, holes, and threads, etc.